New York African Restaurant Week (NYARW) happening October 4 – 20 is when New Yorkers and food and culture lovers from surrounding areas come out and celebrate the best of African/African inspired cuisine and culture by supporting chefs, restaurant owners, entrepreneurs and local businesses to foster a sense of community.
In its seventh year, NYARW 2019 offers New York’s food lovers affordable prix-fix three-course meals at over 20 African and African-inspired restaurants between October 4 and October 20, 2019.
NYC African Restaurant will Feature:
- Over 20 African/African-inspired restaurants providing 3 course prefix menus and special menus at reduced prices – vouchers go on sale soon. It will also include the African Restaurant Week Festival – 2-day festival on October 12 & 13
- Over 20 events featuring events related to food, arts, fashion, culture and Cooking classes
- Various opportunities to support local businesses and entrepreneurs
Odyssey Across Africa: James Beard Dinner – “Grandma’s Recipes”. Friday, Oct 4, 2019: Eight celebrity African female chefs present a transporting feast celebrating their homelands as part of the seventh annual New York African Restaurant Week in partnership with the James Beard Foundation.
Location: James Beard House
(Price 140 member prices $180.00 per person for general public, RSVP/Confirmation of attendance encouraged) Visit – https://www.jamesbeard.org/
African Restaurant Week Festival A Grand Tasting (Time for “Ariya”. time to party in Yoruba):
Saturday October 12, 2019 – 12 noon – 9PM – 46 West 116 th Street, between Lenox Avenue and 5th avenue. (Prices are as follows: Adults $25.00 (includes 2 restaurant tastings) $5 for each additional tasting ticket.
- Over 20 restaurants/food vendors representing cuisines from all of Africa – North, South, East and West
- Local/International/celebrity/emerging chefs
- Chef demos, and goodie bag giveaways
- Live DJ performances, special music performances, and an Afrobeats and global sounds day party
- Afroeatz by Chef Lemaire and Chef Cybille St Aude
- Tacos for Impact
- Taco Tuesdays by Chef Zi from Zimbabwe
- Sip and Shop at the Brownstone
- Suya, Wine and Brew at Bedvyne Brew – hosted by Brooklyn Suya
- Pizza popup by Chef Chandra Lee
- Cooking classes by Chef Linda,
- Lagos to Kampala – celebrating the independence day of Nigeria, Guinea and Uganda
- Tacos for Ubuntu
“Within the rapidly burgeoning culinary scene in NYC, New York African Restaurant Week presents an exciting and unique opportunity to celebrate the best of African culture and is a great tool for social and economic and cultural impact and development,” said Akin Akinsanya, Founder of NY African Restaurant Week. A mission-driven festival, NYARW aims to promote emerging African voices in the global culinary movement, foster communal and cultural ties in the Greater New York Metropolitan Area, support the economic development of locally owned food businesses, and increase access to African influenced healthy food choices in our neighborhoods and communities.
For a full list of participating restaurants by borough, prix-fixe menus, Food Festival details, event tickets and gift vouchers, visit www.nyarw.com. Follow @AfricanRestaurantWeek on Instagram and @NYAfricanRestaurantWeek on Facebook for daily updates and competitions.
Please contact us at email@example.com for all questions.
PAST SELECT MEDIA COVERAGE
Sept 28, 2017: Food Tank, “Seven New York Chefs Celebrating African Culture and Cooking”
Sep 6, 2017: Blavity, “Here’s Where To Dine For NYC African Restaurant Week”
Sep 6, 2017: Harlem World, “NY African Restaurant Week Festival 2017 From Harlem To Hollis”
Oct 2, 2016: News 12 Brooklyn, “New York African Restaurant Week Kicks Off in Brooklyn”
May 15, 2015: CNN, “Inside Africa New York City | NYARW”
June 1, 2015: NBC, “New York African Restaurant Week 2015”
Sep 22, 2014: Forbes, “Top 10 African Restaurants in New York City”
May 4, 2014: CCTV News, “New York Hosts 1 Week Celebration of African Cuisine and Culture”
Nov 7, 2013: Arise Entertainment 360, “Pierre Thiam”
New York African Restaurant Week (NYARW) 2018